1

Information Overload

Various Newspapers Stacked on Top of Each Other


When I think of “News” as a general term, I think of my grandmother. Since I was young, my grandma only watched 3 things: tennis, Tyler Perry, and the news.

This didn’t leave the best impression on me as a child, since I automatically assumed the news to be boring. It was something that adults watched to see other adults talk about adult stuff. But now, as a young adult myself, I would define news as something more interesting.

In an era where we have instant access to any information that we would like, there’s a freedom of choice that wasn’t there before. People can be more selective about who they choose to get their information from.

However, it’s easy to be overwhelmed by the sheer amount of information available to us through television, social media, and the web. Now, you can keep up with celebrities 24/7, learn about breaking news from across the world in half a second. But it’s much more difficult to gauge the reliability of your sources. Especially with political commentators on 24/7 which don't do much to truly inform people and only serve to sway opinions.

I believe the news is defined by who you are. For a politician, it can be a way to sway voters. For a government, it can be a way to control your people. For someone like me, it’s how I stay informed to understand how the choices others make affect people like me.

However, the news is also a way to share what’s important and influence how our world works by starting with knowledge.



You Might Also Like

0 comments